The Garden of the Mont des Arts
At the foot of the Place Royale, the Garden of the Mont des Arts reveals a broad panoramic view toward the Grand Place and the historic centre of Brussels and provides a green transition between the higher and lower parts of the city.
The first garden of the Mont des Arts was developed for the Universal Exposition of 1910. In the 1950s, it was replaced by the vast urban complex of the Mont des Arts, including the present garden, renovated starting in 2001.
This involves a “suspended garden” on a single level, created on a concrete slab covering the subterranean car parks of the Palais des Congrès.
The garden is arranged in two parts. The main garden is made up of a green area planted with yews, compartments encircled with boxwood and planted with perennials, small circular basins and a monumental fountain. The secondary garden contains a basin with recreational fountains, along with a playground for younger children. One of the characteristics of the layout is the creation of compositions using “boxes” made up of yews or hedges, inside which plantings can vary according to the seasons. Management therefore consists of varying the colours and species inside these “boxes”.