The King’s Garden
The initial purpose of the square of the King’s Garden was to open up a view toward the ponds of Ixelles from Avenue Louise. The classical geometry of the garden, the alignment of the paths, and the succession of statues fulfil this objective. The first development of the site was completed in 1876 under the aegis of Leopold II.
The garden, of classical craftsmanship, has the shape of a crow’s foot. Its main perspective is emphasised by a narrow rectangular central lawn, the side paths of which are punctuated by alternating maples and benches. The two large side lawns are laid out identically; in the centre, a circular space, delimited by a hedgerow of beeches, encloses here a sandbox, there a rest area.
Hickories, viburnum, zelkova from China, tupelos, etc., are among the exotic trees that were originally planted. Their rarity makes these them remarkable.
Brussels Environment has chosen to progressively replant the upper part of the garden, that is, to reconstitute the beds that disappeared during restoration of the site (1968-1971). The managers are choosing more original and more varied species when a plant or shrub must be replanted.